|Location|| ||2402 West Michigan Street|
Duluth, MN 55806
|Base Pay|| ||$19.04 / Hour|
|Employee Type|| ||Operations|
|Job Category|| ||Operations|
The Bus Operator operates DTA transit buses in a manner that is safe, provides for a comfortable ride and maintains schedules over pre-determined routes. The Bus Operator also provides DTA customer with courteous and attentive service to include, but not limited to, information, assistance with connections, controlling the environment within the bus and enforcement of DTA policies and procedures. The Bus Operator also performs clerical functions and provides information regarding the performance of the overall on-street operations of the DTA system.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates DTA buses in a manner that exemplifies standard DTA defensive driving principles and practices, is safety conscious and follows all DTA safety policies and procedures. Operates the bus in a manner that gives DTA customers a smooth and comfortable ride. Adheres to all traffic regulations. Adjusts personal driving habits to accommodate changing conditions, (i.e., weather conditions, detours, route changes, etc.).
- Performs pre-trip safety and preventative maintenance inspection and reports the condition of the bus. Performs periodic inspections of the bus while in service and reports any noted defects and/or damage. Completes the bus defect card in a complete, concise, understandable and legible manner. Monitors the mechanical performance of the bus and reports problems in a timely manner. Has a complete working knowledge of the operational characteristics of all models of buses operated by the DTA.
- Provides DTA customers with reliable and professional service. Gives information regarding schedules, connections, system structure and operational characteristics. Always carries an adequate supply of appropriate printed schedules. Keeps up to date on all system changes including route changes, detours, schedule time changes, etc. Maintains a comfortable environment on the bus. Recognizes and accommodates specific needs of customers, (i.e. senior citizens, disabled, students, etc.). Maintains order within the bus and enforces DTA rules as necessary.
- Has a complete understanding of the DTA fare structure and collects all applicable fares. Properly prepares transfers and inspects all transfers presented by customers. Inspects all passes presented for currency and proper use. Requires proper identification of senior citizens and disabled customer utilizing special reduced fare programs. Notifies dispatcher of problems regarding fare collections.
- Keeps dispatcher informed of all operational changes including, but not limited to, delays, mechanical problems, accidents, traffic congestion, passenger connections, load counts, passenger problems and other operational items.
- Completes in a timely, correct and legible manner all required reporting forms to include day cards, load counts, survey forms, defect cards, accident and incident reports, leave request forms and other forms that may be required.
- Follows all procedures as identified in the Bus Operators Manual, Station Rules, Operator’s Training Manuals, Union Contract and memoranda.
- Performs other work of a similar nature as may be required by the Operations Department.
The performance of the major job functions for this position requires the incumbent to be present at their work setting. Regular, dependable attendance is necessary for the performance of the job duties.
The Duluth Transit Authority reserves the right to assign additional or different duties to employees within this job classification consistent with the changing needs of the Duluth Transit Authority. Any duties described herein are subject to change at any time.
- Must have a current Minnesota Class B drivers license or equivalent in good standing, accident free for at least the three previous years and no more than one moving violation within the previous three years.
- Must have the ability to safely and efficiently operate and maneuver large transit-type buses in an urban environment under all types of traffic and weather conditions.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret written operational memoranda and complete all necessary forms in a legible manner.
- Must have excellent verbal communications skills. Must be able to verbally communicate service information in a clear, concise and understandable manner. Must have the ability to effectively deal with large numbers of customers of diverse ages, services, needs and expectations.
- Must have a basic understanding of mechanical functions of the buses and the ability to identify mechanical malfunctions.
- Must successfully complete the DTA New Bus Operator Training Program.
- Must be able to stand intermittently, sit in a confined space for an extended period of time, walk intermittently, push and pull 15 to 25 lbs, bend, kneel, stoop, extend arms to reach bus controls and equipment, twist and turn waist, shoulders and neck, climb stairs and move both legs to reach brake and accelerator pedals and turn signal controls.
The physical requirement listed in this section include, but are not necessarily limited to, the motor/physical abilities and skills required of this position in order to successfully undertake the essential duties and responsibilities of this position. In accordance with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), reasonable accommodation may be made to empower individuals with disabilities to undertake the essential duties and responsibilities of the position.