To accomplish this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform, with or without reasonable accommodation, each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to help enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Plans, directs, manages, and oversees the activities and operations of the Police Department and all law enforcement-related activities.
- Develop and implement policies regarding departmental matters, standard operating procedures, and personnel matters.
- Makes decisions regarding personnel matters, including new hire, termination, and discipline.
- Planning and preparation of operations budget recommendations to the City Manager regarding staffing levels, equipment, training, and other resources; management of approved department budget; monitoring expenditures and financial operations of the department.
- Continued review of departmental policies and procedures; revision of policies and procedures as required.
- Compiles and reports to appropriate county, state, and federal agencies on all required areas of reporting related to law enforcement activities and expenditures.
- Serves as liaison with community groups and outside law enforcement agencies.
- Liaison with local, state, and federal law enforcement, Health, Social Services, and Regulatory agencies.
- Maintain all records satisfying requirements by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement and ensure the department remains in compliance with TCOLE regulations.
- Assists or acts as the Emergency Management Coordinator in all disaster situations and disaster training.
- Maintain an inventory of all equipment for which the Department is responsible and its assignment within the Department.
- Records Retention Officer for the Police Department’s records and files.
- Organization and operation of police reserve program, if applicable.
- Attend City Council and other committee meetings as representative of the Department.
- Prepares reports regarding department activities and presents information to the City Manager, City Council, and the public.
- Monitors, evaluates, and communicates the impact of potential legislative or regulatory changes affecting the Department and advises the City Manager of their potential effect.
- Serves as the law enforcement expert for the City and assists with organization-wide long-term planning and development.
- Consult with other city departments/divisions and the public concerning safety and security, crime, crime prevention, and emergency planning.
- Implement citywide policies and procedures for improving overall police service.
- Enforce city ordinances, and state and federal laws.
- Any other duty which may be assigned by the City Manager