The Music Minister of Formation will collaborate with pastors to assist their current parish music leaders, and identify and teach future musicians to build liturgical life in the parishes throughout the Archdiocese of Omaha.
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE is August 10th, or until the position has been filled.
|Location|| ||100 North 62nd Street|
Omaha, NE 68132
|Employee Type|| ||Exempt|
|Job Category|| ||Worship|
|Industry|| ||Liturgical Music, Worship, Liturgy|
|Required Degree|| ||Masters|
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Set up musical and administrative spaces throughout Archdiocese locations.
- Identify, meet, and minister to all priests and musicians and conduct survey in deanery groups.
- Visit parishes (by invitation), to meet musicians and become familiar with music spaces.
- Strategize a plan for the development of deanery musicians’ groups.
- Create and manage a schedule for visiting parishes on a regular rotating basis, during worship.
- Develop workshops to reinforce ongoing support of priests in liturgical singing.
- Create a structure for formation of parish music leaders in: instrumental and vocal proficiency; leading assembly singing; music planning for worship; recruiting and leading volunteer musicians; organizing and planning of parish music ministry, repertoire for worship.
- Develop instructions for youth and adults on the basic skills of music and formation for ministry through choral ensembles (rural) and individual lessons.
- Teach the content of Core Repertoire of the Archdiocese of Omaha.
- Form a rural children’s and adult choir and organize one or more events annually.
- Teach the principles of the Church’s liturgical music documents.
- Assist parishes in creating budgets for music ministry.
- Advise parishes on the organization of music spaces and assist evaluation of instruments.
- Provide structure of support and formation for school music teachers toward preparation for liturgical participation and leadership of catholic school students.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Full range of Roman Catholic liturgical music, including Treasury of Sacred Liturgical Music
- Church’s liturgical musical documents
- Church’s Pedagogy for the children’s and adult’s voices, choral ensembles, piano, organ
- Repertoire for assembly, children’s and adult choirs, piano, organ
- Archdiocese of Omaha Core Repertoire
- Exemplary competency and musicianship voice, piano, organ, conducting (other secondary instrument), mastery of playing service music and hymnody; self-motivation
- Good communication skills for teaching; Organization for program administration;
- Computer skills for administration, Recruitment strategies; Classroom management
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in Music, Music Education, Vocal or Choral Music or Organ is required with experience in complementary fields including Liturgy.
- Experience with Roman Catholic liturgical practices, children’s and adult choirs, organ and choral repertoire.
- Experience with recruiting, parent communication and volunteer organization, and organization of music library.
- A familiarity with and passion for ministry including rural, small community, urban, suburban settings.
- Employee is required to attend all rehearsals as set out in the annual schedule, and will be required to arrive ½ hour before arrival of children; Remain onsite until all have left the premises, or secure Safe Environment certified volunteers to assist. Employee is responsible for preparation of and rehearsal of all repertoire in advance of rehearsals. Liturgies may require the employee to work in a balcony (30 steps) and may require climbing stairs multiple times in a rehearsal or liturgy.
- Employee maintains an appropriate and professional dress code and demeanor at all times.